State of the Union March 2019
WIN A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY!
Would you like to head to Washington, D.C. this May to lobby Congress with Clint Borgen and The Borgen Project’s Board of Directors? We will select one lucky winner to attend Congressional meetings and watch the magic happen first hand.
Any volunteer or intern who has met the following requirements will be entered into a drawing for an all expenses paid trip to D.C. to lobby on behalf of the world’s poor:
- Completed three (3) Congressional meetings in their state OR
- Mobilized the most people to email Congress through The Borgen Project’s Action Center. Please send your manager a list of the people you mobilize. As a frame of reference, our 2018 winner mobilized 313 people to email Congress!
Deadline for Eligibility:
- Total # of Lobbying Meetings in February: 29
- Total # of Lobbying Meetings in 2019: 42
- Lobbying Meetings Goal for 2019: 775
- Number of Advocacy Emails in February: 1,310
- Advocacy Emails Goal for 2019: 80,000
- % of Congress Emailed in February: 82%
Congressional Office Meetings
Regional Director Moise Dzogolo met with Kamal Fulani, Deputy Director of the North Texas office of Senator John Cornyn (R – TX).
Listen to the latest from Warren about the goings-on in D.C.
Content Team Updates
February was the second highest web traffic month for borgenproject.org in the history of the organization!
Professional Development Help
We are pleased to offer professional development help to our interns. To find out more go to: http://borgenteam.org/professional-development-help/
Congratulations to the following team members that have achieved Borgen Project Honors & Recognition.
- Chief Closer Award (raised $1,000 or more): Kyle Dunphey and Natalie Dell, Content Team
- President’s Circle (held 3 congressional meetings): Maria Castrogiovanni, Political Affairs Team
- Public Outreach Award (50 or more people mobilized): Charlotte Kriftcher, Content Team
Visit the Our Team Members page and read about success stories with our organization.
Getting the Word Out
PR/Marketing Team member Alex Van Valkenburgh spread the word about TBP while at the beach.
Political Affairs Team member Kimberly Peterson completed her One-Mile Campaign at Mississippi College.
Political Affairs Team member Julya Generoso posted fliers for her 1-mile campaign in Pottsville, Philadelphia.
PR/Marketing and HR Team member Nevada McOwen created a podcast. Faith in humanity: A podcast about ending poverty. To list to more of Nevada’s work, please visit: https://anchor.fm/nevie
Political Affairs Team member Maggie Wells created a graphic about contacting Congress and posted it to her Instagram page. Instagram is a fantastic platform to circulate information about TBP and global poverty.
Letters to the Editor
- Ana Luiza Clever Galvao, Human Resource Team, in the Centre Daily Times, Act now to solve global poverty
- Isaac Echeverri, PR/Marketing Team, in The Baltimore Sun: U.S. can do much more to address global poverty & in the Arizona Daily Star via the Tucson: Thoughts on our policy on foreign aid
- Cindy Dikoume, Regional Director, in The Aberdeen News: Protect International Affairs Budget
- Merisa Muharemovic, Human Resource Team, in the Brattleboro Reformer: Reach out, get involved
- Emily Gruver, Political Affairs Team, in the Herald Banner: Greater emergency of hunger, thirst taking place
- Mikaella (Mika) Brouillette, Political Affairs Team, in Democrat & Chronicle: Protect the future of displaced women and girls
- Paige Downey, Political Affairs Team, in The Hoosier Times: Protect Affairs Budget
- Kayla Aragones, PR/Marketing Team, in Medium: Contacting Congress
- Haley Hoekstra, PR/Marketing Team, in the Odyssey: Connecting with Congress
- Ceren Çolak, PR/Marketing Team, in Medium: The Borgen Project and My Journey
- Ceren Çolak, PR/Marketing Team, in the Odyssey: Decreased death rates does not always have to cause overpopulation
- Isaac Echeverri, PR/Marketing Team in Medium: You can start a change!
Outreach & Mobilizing Materials
Take a look at these branding campaign materials created by PR/Marketing Team member Krithi Sekaran.
Krithi also created a Borgen Project event flyer:
PR/Marketing Team member Makena Boling created a Borgen Project brochure.
PR/Marketing Team member Cindia Escalante Vinuesa created pamphlets to hand-out at her bake sale.
Fundraising campaign materials created by PR/Marketing Team member Paula Ruiz: “We Fight for the Underdogs”
HR Team member Carol Alcantar created a poster to hang around her school campus and at local coffee shops.
PR/Marketing Team member Alexis Blacknik created a variety of posters for her internship, including a set of graphics to go with her Venmo challenge
PR/Marketing Team member Olivia Fowler produced a set of watercolor posters to market for TBP.
Looking for creative ways to fundraise? Content Team member Michela Rahaim has been raising money to help end global poverty and hunger by walking dogs. Michela has raised $86 from walking dogs, such as Sadie (pictured below).
Human Resource Team member Jennifer Irwin held a bake sale and raised $200! Bake sales are a fantastic and delicious way to fundraise.
PR/Marketing Team member Cindia Escalante Vinuesa: “Draw My Life”
Political Affairs Team member Julya Generoso gives us an update about her internship and fundraising progress thus far.
Political Affairs Team member Jean Santiago creates a swarm to get people to email Congress