Note from the President: Amazing work everyone! July was a record month for both grassroots lobbying and fundraising. We’ve already had more lobbying meetings this year than all of last year! Let’s keep this momentum going. With Congressional leaders back in their districts and the mid-term election approaching, this is a crucial time of year to make sure leaders are hearing from you. The entire House of Representatives is up for re-election and many previously “easy win” districts are now up for grabs. Most leaders are feeling vulnerable and they are going out of their way to keep voters in their district happy. Every call, email and letter you can mobilize into their office makes a huge difference in getting them supporting poverty-reduction efforts. As a member of The Borgen Project, you are an ambassador for the world’s poor, giving them a voice in your district… Make it a loud voice!
– Clint Borgen
- Total # of Lobbying Meetings in July: 89
- Total # of Lobbying Meetings in 2018: 541
- Lobbying Meetings Goal for 2018: 560
- Number of Advocacy Emails in July: 10,510
- Advocacy Emails Goal for 2018: 100,000
- % of Congress Emailed in July: 96%
Congressional Office Meetings
Listen to the latest from Warren about the goings-on in D.C.
Content Team Updates
Here are the Top 10 Articles for July on BORGEN Magazine.
HR Team Updates
There is an 11.6% increase in applicants – July 2017 vs. July 2018.
Professional Development Help
We are pleased to offer professional development help to our interns. To find out more go to: https://borgenteam.org/professional-development-help/
Congratulations to the following team members that have achieved Borgen Project Honors & Recognition.
- Capital Achievement Award (raised $2,000 or more): Abigail Dunn, Content Team; Katey Reiff, PR/Marketing Team (August); and Megan Maxwell, Content Team (August).
- Chief Closer Award (raised $1,000 or more): Andrew Wedeking, Political Affairs Team (August); Gavin Isbell, Political Affairs Team (August); Ian Greenwood, Content Team (August); Jenna Walmer, Content Team; Jessie Serody, Content Team (August); Molly Dunn, Political Affairs Team (August); and Sara Olk, Content Team (August).
- Honors Award (raised $3,000 or more): Katey Reiff, PR/Marketing Team (August).
- President’s Circle: Addison Engelbrecht, PR/Marketing Team and Sierra Arral, Political Affairs Team.
Visit the Our Team Members page and read about success stories with our organization.
Getting the Word Out
Regional Director Amy Ramirez was featured by Craftimatis on Instagram and Facebook.
On the Radio
PR/Mktg Team member Tyler Greene was interviewed by The Beat KOSP 92.9 in Springfield, Missouri.
PR/Mktg Team member Anna Zagorski posted to IG about “Write to Congress Wednesdays” and she held an Insta Live Info Session.
Check out some of the photos from this summer’s One-Mile campaigns.
Letters to the Editor
Anna Zagorski, PR/Mktg Team, in the Odyssey Online: The Myths of Global Poverty.
Gavin Isbell, Political Affairs Team, in The Mercury News – Letter: What US actually spends on foreign aid is shocking.
Henry Colyer, Political Affairs Team, in the VT Digger: Henry Colyer – International affairs budget needs rebalancing.
Kelli Ryan, Political Affairs Team in the Northern Kentucky Tribune: Letter to the Editor: As Americans, we must be part of the initiative to end global poverty, says Kelly Ryan.
Rashi Mahato, HR Team, in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Letters to the Editor – Foreign aid isn’t charity; it’s an investment.
Outreach & Mobilizing Materials
Here are some of this summer’s fundraising activities and ideas.
Donor Relations Team member Anna Taylor created this brochure to send out with her fundraising letters.
PR/Mktg Team member Marie Gigliotti created this video addressed to Senator Chris Murphy.
Check out this animated video created by fellow PR/Mktg Team member Meena Pyatt.
Advocate Sarah Chocron created this video about supporting the International Affairs Budget.
Click here to view the video.